Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Q: How do you wreck a car, find a date and get snowed in in Seattle?

A: Let's talk about my last 12 hours. More 24+ hours. It started snowing here on Sunday. Flurries to us Midwestern folks. Blizzard like conditions to these crazy Seattlites. I drove into work yesterday and left a little early to do some shopping downtown SEattle. Well on my way home my street was closed due to icy, snowy, one inch conditions. Well shit. Now I had to go around this giant hill trying to get up to the top. Well I didn't make it. I ended up sliding down a slight incline because the street was actually cobblestone and very slick. During my slow 2 mph "OH SHIT THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO TO STOP WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN" collision, I hit a BMW X3 parked on the side of the road. This small force was enough to move the BMW slightly but since it was on an incline it picked up speed and almost flew into the interesection at the bottom of the street! All I coudl do was honk my horn to warn people at the bottom of the street that a car was coming backwards sans human driver!

A neighbor man came out to try and help me. He said a woman hat dtried to make it up the hill and didn't so she left it there and walked up the rest of the way. I left a note and took a few photos. Then the 60 year old neighbor man suggested he try to push my car away from the curb while I drive so I don't get hit like I hit this car. I was almost on the other side of the road when the back wheels slipped and swung around side swiping the man! Fortunately another man had shown up to assist (thinking I was the older man's wife) and was able to grab the guy out of the way before I ran over him at 2 mph. The car slid down the remaining 20 feet and hit the BMW AGAIN. Basically the damage is two bumpers will need to be replaced. Once the roads clear, both cars are drivable. Unfotunatly I could not reverse and get around the BMW. I called AAA - which told me that AAA in Seattle was shut down until further notice. Great - now what?? I'm still over 10 blocks down hill from my place. Do I just leave the car here? Well the neighbor man had gone inside and now I was standing on the street talking to the second man who looks oddly familiar.

Turns out he is the co-owner of the bar I used to frequent next to my old place downtown. Apparently he lives down the street from my ar accidnt (which he saw the whole thing). Long story short - he suggests to get out of this snowy, freezing weather at the bar up the street so he can "officially rescue a damsle in distress." I agree. In these absurb circumstances my 30 day alcohol free test can be waived on this night (I need a hot drink and stress reliever!). By the time we slip and slide up the street to the local bar, it's around 8PM. Matt - the bar owner - is 38, WSU marketing grad and Seattlite raised (btw - tall, average build, and overall attractive). We end up hanging out for the remainder of the evening - eating dinner at another restaurant on my crazy trek home. Even though he was walking way out of his way, he helped me the rest of the way home.

Exchanged numbers, a quick kiss and said good night.

This morning I am sitting at home because I am "snowed in" with a few inches of snow on top of Queen Anne hill with my car 10 blocks away (one mile) kissing a BMW X3. Essentially I am waiting for the owner of the BMW X3 to call me. As of now, I'm guessing they have no idea their car was in an accident. Not really sure how I'm going to deal with that, move the car, take a mandatory drug test and get to the airport to fly home tomorrow?

Seattle has shut down. It is just me and Sam today.

No comments:

Post a Comment